Sunday, May 19, 2013

First Day

Today was my first of three eight-hour class sessions in Real Estate 5304- Sustainability and the Built Environment. We started at 8:30 a.m. by introducing ourselves. We then briefly discussed the meaning of sustainability and the three pillars of sustainability: social, environmental, and economic sustainability.



I introduced myself as an Information Systems Major and said that this semester is my last semester in the program. I didn't really talk about why I am taking the class. This class counts as a non-Information Systems elective for me. The reason that I chose this class as an elective is because I have seen how sustainability has become a greater focus for many organizations. For example, where I work, my department has a sustainability committee that reviews ways that we can make our workplace more sustainable. I have also heard from others that sustainability has taken an increasingly important role where they work as well. In other words, I am hoping that being familiar with sustainable concepts will make me more marketable to a potential employer. On a personal level, like to see how I can apply these concepts in my own life to help improve the environment and perhaps save my family some money in the long run.


No comments:

Post a Comment